Uni-Logo
Sektionen
Sie sind hier: Startseite Geschichte
Artikelaktionen

The History of the Institute of Anatomy

The history of the Anatomical Institute, University of Freiburg, dates back to the 16th century. In 1867, the anatomist Alexander Ecker (1816-1887) opened the first Anatomical Institute at its present place in the Albert Straße.

The original building was destroyed during the first World War. The rebuilt Institute was again destroyed in 1944 when Freiburg was bombarded. In 1954 the present building was finished. In a way, the Anatomical Institute Freiburg thus reflects German history. The list of well-known scientists that worked at this Institute is long.
Among them were Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915), Nobel laureate in 1908, and Paul Langerhans (1847-1888) who discovered the Langerhans islets in the pancreas. Wilhelm von Möllendorff (1887-1944) was elected Rector of the University of Freiburg in 1933, but resigned a couple of days later, because of the public pressure and the University politics of the Nazis. Today the Anatomical Institute consists of two chairs, Neuroanatomy and Molecular Embryology. Research at the Department of Neuroanatomy is devoted to the development of the hippocampus.

Benutzerspezifische Werkzeuge